Date:
Sat, 24 Dec 2011 09:11:21 -0500
Rachel talks about the gizmo that looks like a mini bicycle horn  pump....

I've had  a couple of rather unpleasant exchanges with representatives
for Lansinoh  at conferences when they were pushing their gizmo that
looks suspiciously  like a re-packaged bicycle horn pump, claimed by
Lansinoh to be a superior  way of getting a nipple, flattened by
engorgement, to protrude so a baby  can attach to it.  The only force
this device can exert is  suction.  The horn fits over the woman's
nipple and she applies it to  the nipple after first squeezing the air
out of the balloon part, so it  just sits there, stuck to the nipple by
the vacuum.  I have asked to  see the research showing the safety and
efficacy of the device, and  expressed my skepticism since it would
only accentuate any edema and could  cause serious tissue damage the
same way a breast pump does in the same  circumstances
Rachel, that gizmo has been around since before I went into lactation full
bore in 1985.  It was made by the pigeon company, had a red bulb and was
sold in Asian stores in the US.  It was part and parcel of what Japanese  and
other Asian women *needed* to breastfeed.  In fact, the only slide I  have
of it in use is of a Japanese woman -- and I don't remember where I got the
slide -- only that I've had it forever.  Before Lansinoh started making it,
 the only place I could get it was at the big Asian market here in the
Chicagoland area.

Now, I wonder if the reason they don't have any evidence on the efficacy of
 its use is because they simply are packaging and marketing something that
was  made and sold by their parent company???

Their marketing (when I've looked at it in Target) is that this is
something you NEED in order to breastfeed successfully.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, FILCA
Wheaton IL

_www.lactationeducation.com_ (http://www.lactationeducation.com/)