From:
Lois DW Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 May 1998 18:51:14 -0500
There is a very good statement by the AAP Nutrition Committee in the
January 1998 issue of Pediatrics (sorry I don't have the reference volume
and pages immediately handy).  It covers their concerns in depth about the
current inappropriate use as well as overuse of soy formulas and ALL the
many hazards associated with them, including poorer "take" of vaccinations,
allergenicity, phytoestrogens, etc.  While we as adults may want to
increase our dietary intake of soy products, it is not the only thing we
are ingesting.  Soy-formula-fed infants, on the other hand, are being fed
soy products as the SOLE diet, the body burden being very much greater.
Some countries no longer will allow them to be sold; I believe Australia is
one.

Lois Arnold, MPH, IBCLC
Faculty, Healthy Children 2000 Project
Sandwich, MA