From:
Gail Hertz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2006 19:53:22 -0400
Mary, you're not crazy.  The formula company isn't offering "free" stuff
just to be nice,  they do it to get something in return. [and you see that
even if your new educator doesn't] They want to increase their market share,
get their logo on a few more items, maybe get some marketing privileges back
[just maybe] and in general be on the "good side" of people they can use to
promote their product for them. One of our reps left invitations for CME
credits to be obtained at the swankiest restaurant in town - with dinner of
filet mignon, Do I like filet mignon? yes. Do I need CME credits? yes. Am I
going? No.

Gail S. Hertz, MD, IBCLC

Subject: formula company education
Mary writes:

As you all are probably aware, the formula companies offer "free" education
to staff nurses, and offer to bring guest speakers right into the hospital.
The topics for education are varied and usually have nothing to do with
formula.  When I became the coordinator of the lactation program, I asked
that these offerings be declined, and my nurse manager agreed.  Now we have
a new educator, who disagrees with this and is pressuring myself and manager
to allow these "free" programs for the staff.  I feel as though I've stated
my case clearly, and yet the staff and educator think that I'm crazy.  The
educator asked me today for the 2nd time, if our breastpump supplier could
offer a speaker, as if to say, "If you won't allow the formula company to
come in, how about YOUR company....maybe THEY can offer us something."  Now
that we have gotten rid of the discharge formula bags (hooray) it seems like
the pressure is even greater for these education offerings.  I'm so
frustrated and getting ready to cave in!  Please give me some words of
wisdom, and tell me I'm not crazy.  Thanks.

Mary Foley RN, BSN, IBCLC
Massachusetts