From:
Mari Douma <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 23:57:20 -0500
We planted Teagan's placenta under a new tree when she was about 1 year old.
Yes, it was great to have the freezer space back! She loved climbing into
the hole before we planted the tree. The tree, however, has had various
insults and I am praying to see leaves this spring. Nibbled by sheep and
deer the first year, run over by small bulldozer type thing about 6 months
after we planted it (cracked some at the base but I taped it up-- lived to
make leaves after this believe it or not), then this summer was attacked by
plague of beetles in the pasture. How can I let this "placenta tree" die? I
think if it weren't for the placenta, this tree would've called it quits
long ago.

Good news: one of my moms (who is also our billing person and a friend) has
had a rough time with breastfeeding. At three weeks of age, her baby (in the
middle of the night) decided to reject the finger-feeder and finally latched
beautifully and willingly and consistently. Mom is so happy! Dad is feeling
a little rejected since he had the night-time finger-feeding duties. If it
hadn't been from all that I've learned from you guys, I certainly would've
had a harder time counselling this mom. In fact, I was frequently heard to
say to them, "on lactnet they say..." You all are so great!!!

Mari Douma, DO