From:
Judith Hayman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 2004 09:27:33 -0500
>I'm planning to buy a digital camera.  Any suggestions? How
>many "mega pixels"
>would I need for close up photos of nipples that would look
>good enlarged on a
>power point slide?

You'll probably want 3-4 megapixels per inch.  5+ give a finer
resolution, but probably not necessary. Larger pixels for the image
means that you'll also fill up the memory card, and probably want to buy
a bigger one.

If you use the flash, the camera sucks batteries like crazy.  So the
option to use available light is a good one (my camera does that and
makes beautiful indoor shots). So a super fast battery recharger is a
good idea too.

Another issue is the power up and repeat image cycling time.  Digital
cameras can be slow to boot up and slow from the time you click until
the picture is taken.  It seems to be part of the way they work.

It's not so much the number of pixels you probably want as the Zoom
ability.  You'll need BOTH a digital and an optical zoom to get closeup
quality and short focal length, and look for a fairly high level of
zoom.

I have a Canon that is great for outdoors, but probably not for this
use. It's an A60. My friend just bought a Canon A75, which has slightly
more zoom.  We're both very happy with quality.

After that it's how much you want to spend.

Judith

Judith Hayman, RN, IBCLC, BSc, BScN
Public Health Nurse & Lactation Consultant