Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 19:10:48 -0800
What is the current thinking on shingles and breastmilk? I have a mother
with shingles, and she an infant that was born at 29 weeks and mom has been
pumping. Baby was on lipids and TPN and just last weekend  was going to the
breast for first time. (baby is now 33 weeks) but mom came down with
shingles, I was with the understanding that we would treat this like a
herpes lesion,.Should we save the milk, should mom breastfeed when baby
stable again?  Right now baby is NPO for 7 days due to gut  conditionBaby is
in  very fragile condition. We had a Nec scare with her about 2 weeks ago.
Baby had a transfusion over the weekend due to anemia caused by occult blood
in the stool and also some frank bleeding noted in the stools.
Thanks
Jan Aken RN IBCLC
mailto:[log in to unmask]