From:
Arlene Hrinkevich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 17:28:06 -0400
Hi, all. Does anyone know anything about the steroid drug Lotemax? I am
working with a mom whose opthamologist has prescribed these eyedrops for
a Herpes eye infection. Opthamologist has instructed mother not to
breastfeed her 4 week old for the duration of treatment (at least a week
and maybe longer) plus 4 days. This is a new drug and I have not been
able to find any info from any of the usual sources (Hale book, Lactnet
archives, etc.). I can't imagine that something given in eyedrop form
could be all that dangerous to a nursing infant, but absent any data,
it's hard to counter that position.

Any input or suggestions of alternative treatments would be greatly
appreciated. Please cc me personally, as I am currently NOMAIL (too busy
with my own 5 week old nursling :) Thanks!

Arlene