Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 2010 07:47:10 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
Longest Peri-Menopause every? I started when my now 10 year old was 3 or 4 and am still menstruating every month, most likely ovulating and having severe Peri symptoms. (CAUTION: contains some terms and data that I find normal to talk about but may be uncomfortable to some more "sensitive" readers.) 

The hot flashes and the night sweats, I can deal with. The increase in sex drive I can CERTAINLY deal with. However, the mood swings and inability to, um, finish, during relations I was NOT able to tolerate, so I did consent to a SMALL dose of intravaginal estrogen. (YES, I KNOW THE RISKS. However, not being able to enjoy relations with my husband, while still wanting to be with him once or twice a day is NOT something I will live with.) I tried ""Natural" remedies (please, I appreciate everyone's help, but I really don't want more 'Have you tried.....?" ad infinitum. Chances are I HAVE tried those remedies with no relief. Thank you anyway.) 

As for the vaginal creme, it sure as heck IS absorbed! I not only noticed a difference in mood, and a small increase in my breast size, and a noticable reduction in small lines in my face, I also felt nauseous (I am REALLY sensitive to estrogen) and skipped a period, (which has not happened before or since yet) and a small increase in my migraines. Reducing my already minuscule dose IN HALF eliminated ALL the unpleasant side effects and left only the benefits (less hot flashes and night sweats, which, although I COULD have lived with, was a releif in this hottest summer on record) still helped with my enjoyment of sexual issue, and the mood swings. I also started menstruating regularly again, (the skipped period was accompanied by the worst PMS I could remember) with a TINY dose of progesterone (I did my research and am only taking 0.25 the dose my doctor recommended.) 

My guess would be if MY estrogen deprived body (tests confirmed that it was estrogen I was lacking, I may have been hyper estrogenic 4 or 5 years ago, but the symptoms changed and my est IS very low.) Although I felt slightly dry, the doctor did and exam and said it "looked normal." Astroglide with the Green Cap (no glycerin or parabens) and the small amount of intravaginal estrogen helped quite a  bit.. I also find regular sexual activity (daily or so) helps with lubrication. 

I KNOW all "Wise Women" go through menopause, most of the symptoms are tolerable, but not being able to enjoy my husband was the last straw. I tried a number of herbs and amino acids first to no avail. THAT symptom was driving me to tears and depression, and although it isn't as perfect or easy as it was 3 or 4 years ago, it is much better. I can only attribute the estrogen and my husband and I being open to "new things" to the change in response. 

Anyway, if intravaginal estrogen could effect me this strongly, I do wonder if it could effect a lactating mother's supply. There are myriad sexual lubricants out there, Astroglide Green Cap, Pink Water, and several of the organic, non glycerin lubricants could certainly help a lactating woman with dryness. If anyone wants, I can get a list of the safest and least chemical enhanced products. Women with dryness and soreness NEED to stay away from any lubricants sold in commercial stores, because not only do most contain glycerin (which only adds to dryness eventually and can cause yeast infections and UTIs in many women) but have unneeded and ineffectual "warming" "cooling" and "Tingling" ingredients which do nothing but irritate sensitive tissues. Also, things like Aloe do not really help with actual lubrication and have a disgusting taste as well as the well known laxative effect. There is no reason to have Aloe in a sexual lubricant, IMO. 

I hope this helps.  I never had this issue while breastfeeding, but I can imagine the stress and unpleasantness it causes in an already stressful post partum home. 

Mary Jozwiak
Private Practice

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2