From:
Helen M Woodman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 13:29:14 EST
Hi everyone,
>        I am trying to find a diagram and an explanation for something that I
>know I heard but don't know where or when.
>        How does the breast itself manufacture antibodies to bacteria
>(and viruses?) that the baby has.  The loop is supposed to be -
>a-exposure of mother's to the baby's germs
>b-breast manufactures antibodies more quickly than if the entire immune
>system was involved
>c-baby receives these specific antibodies in the milk within a very short
>time (about 24-72 hours BEFORE they would be available under more
>common methods of maternal antibody production)

I believe the two systems are called broncho-mammary and entero-mammary
circulation.  The entero-mammary manufacture of antibodies has another rather
elegant name, but this escapes me and somewhere.. where, oh where......I have
a diagram of this.......

With kind regards, Helen M Woodman, National Childbirth Trust Breastfeeding
Counsellor (NCT), Sussex Downs Branch.  Storrington, West Sussex UK. www
nct-online.org