From:
Michael Reeder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 May 1999 02:29:09 -0400
Hello all,
I am not a native German speaker, but I have been doing some counseling
here (Switzerland ) in German.  The word for breastfeeding in German is
"stillen" .  It also means to "soothe pain"  , "satisfy desire" and "quench
thirst".  The German word for silent or quiet is "still", but I dont' know
if the two are related.   I think that this is a great word and also
describes what our thoughts of "nursing" are all about.  German is
wonderfully literal.  A newborn baby is a Säugling literally meaning a "a
small sucking person" because the verb säugen means "to suckle" and also to
breastfeed, however  I have never heard this verb used before referring to
bf.   One other interesting word is the word for nipple.  It is called a
Brustwarze, translated to English,  breast wart!!  I think that this is all
correct, but if the native speakers on the list would like to correct me,
please do!!
This discussion is not only fun and interesting, I think that many of us
will be surprised when we find ourselves in a situation where we can use
our new vocabulary words.
Tschüss
Merilee Reeder
Basel, CH