Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 10:28:26 EST
Every once in a while in the midst of working with a newly pp mom and baby in
hospital, I've had/created a teaching opportunity with a nurse whose advise
has been less than helpful.  If we are working on a latch-on or positioning
issue and the nurse strolls in for something else, I try to bring them over
to show her how wonderfully they are connected right now and emphasize what
is right about the situation - not what advise worked.  It's a learning
opportunity for the nurse and hopefully, everybody's ego remains intact and
valuable information is acquired and the attitude of working as part of the
team approach is maintained.  Us vs them will never get us any headway and is
totally counterproductive.  We learn by repeated exposure to what is correct
and so by sharing this whenever possible we foster a cooperative attitude and
reinforcement of assessment skills.  We might even open enough  room to
dialog about how we approach things and raise this HCP's level of
understanding of the breastfeeding relationship and process a notch.  It's
certainly worth a try.

Gretchen Andrews, BA, IBCLC
private practice (mostly) Redlands, CA, USA