Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 10:46:21 EDT
Cathy's comment makes sense to me.  Knowing that the *volume* of milk is
roughly constant over six months doesn't tell us much about whether babies
are growing more on these particular days.  That's especially true since, all
else being equal, more frequent feeding will tend to increase the fat &
calorie content on those days, no?

And many of us do find, anecdotally, that these days are associated with
jumps in growth, either physical or developmental -- and as Jan points out,
that is as true for toddlers and teenagers as for infants.  Moreover these
jumps might be associated with increased comfort needs as well as increased
caloric needs.

So I don't think we have anything like the kind of overwhelming research
evidence that would justify overthrowing the well-established, "clinical,"
mother-wisdom of calling these growth spurts.

ESU