From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 06:55:54 -0500
For mom of premie, I used to use a 12 hour guideline.  Gives her a chance
to accept that baby was early, can't bf, regroup, and decide to pump for
her baby.  Pumping needs to be mentioned right away as option/need for
baby, but mom needs a little time to regroup emotionally before actually
"doing it" with the uncuddly mechanical monster. It worked fairly well.
But that was 14 years ago before we knew lots about how the whole system
works. BTW I always talked a lot with moms about hands on expressing and
lots of massage, even if using a pump.  I used to  talk about the love/hate
relationship with long term pumping too.

For Full term baby I think the nuzzling and skin to skin is almost as good
as really nursing in the first few hours.

Sincerely, Pat in SNJ