From:
Ruth Berkowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2018 16:01:32 +1000

Hi Eleanor and all,

While this sounds much more complicated than my more recent refusal
cases, I do wonder if some of the TT releases may be a reason for
increased oral aversion.  I have recently had a number of TT and lip
tie cases where the mother has used laser treatment.  While the
babies had been (ineffectively) feeding, they then began to refuse
anything in their mouths.

I have found it very hard to get the babies back to the breast.
Generally I try working with mums on skin-to-skin contact, and
gradually move to soft cheek,chin and then lip touch.  This doesn't
always work, but sometimes it does help reduce the anxiety that the
mum is feeling and can help mum and baby reconnect.

This situation does sound much more complex but may help the mum
reduce some of her anxieties and worries.

HTH,
Ruth Berkowitz, IBCLC; ABA Breastfeeding Counsellor
Autralia