From:
Jan Cornfoot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 1997 23:20:40 +1000
Lactnetters may be interested to know that on 27 February 1997 a Symposium
on the Utilization of Epidurals in Normal Obstetrics was held in Washington
DC, it was by invitation only and organised by the NACC (Natl Asscn for
Childbearing Centers) Foundation, with support from ACNM Foundation. Those
present included researchers Fred Frigoletto (there also as President of
ACOG), Ellice Lieberman (Brigham, Boston), Nancy Oriel (Beth Israel,
Boston), Janet Lang (Boston Univ), Jim Thorp (Univ of Missouri/St Lukes,
Kansas City), Bill Camman (Brigham, representing Society of Obstetric
Anesthesiologists & Perinatologists), Sigrid Johnson (Univ of East
Tennessee) and others representing: ACNM Foundation, Agency for Health Care
Policy Research, American Academy of Family Physicians, ACNM (incl Joyce
Roberts, researcher), ACOG (2 other reps), American Society of
Anesthesiology, ASPO/Lamaze, AWHONN, Center for Disease Control, Florida
Mid Resource Center, Health Ins Asscn of America, Institute of Medicine,
Kaiser Permanete, NACC, Sumner Yaffe (NIH), Ruth Lubic (Office of Public
Health & Science), Diony Young (consumer advocate and editor of Birth
journal) and me, as a consumer advocate.

Research presentations were followed by discussion on other research
needed, and positive discussion on future directions. Interest from many
centres on timing, strength, appropriate use and further research on side
effects and moves toward greater education of the entire community about
epidurals.

There was no lactation consultant and no representative from the Am Academy
of Paed (although the latter was invited).

Anyone with a special interest in anesthesia could always attend the next
SOAP conference in April in Bermuda ! I understand there will be a debate
between Drs Chestnut and Thorp.

Given the widespread concern by bf counsellors of the apparent effects of
epidurals on bf, and discussions in which I heard these issues raised at
the BSC conference in the days immediately after the Symposium, it would be
useful for ILCA or someone from the bf community to be involved. E-mail me
privately and I could give you contact details and further information.

Jan Cornfoot
Brisbane, Australia