From:
Donna Kimick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 2004 10:26:46 EST
 << At night when he is falling asleep he slips his hand inside my shirt and
lightly rests his fingers over one nipple.  If he walks in while mom is
changing clothes he will stand in front of me and reach up and place his hand over
my breast.  If he is tired
or ill he will do the same.  He strongly feels they are his "boobies" and he
does not like to see me hug or hold anyone else,.....I would really like any
references to the "normalness" of this.  Can anyone help me?>>

Pam, I too went through a similar situation. My son nursed to almost 3
although continued to "fiddle" with my nipple for at least the next year or more. I
became pregnant when he was 4 and towards the end of the pregnancy I just
couldn't stand the "fiddling" anymore - I was fortunate to have the "excuse" of "
this hurts mommy right now "  I didn't want to say the "baby needs my breasts
soon" and have animosity towards the baby.  Eventually I just had him lay with
me (he did this when he was tired - It basically took the place of nursing),
and I would just hold him to go to sleep. He was able to ease out of it before
his sister was born.  She is now 4 and has told me that she plans to nurse
til 5 LOL!!!!  Of course this is only at night or morning for a total of 5
minutes. I seriously doubt this will actually last that much longer - but she is
definitely healthier. Oh well :)

Donna Kimick
Intern LC
Long Island NY

"It's the lucky baby, I feel, who continues to nurse until he's two."
Antonia Novello, MD, MPH, DrPH
Surgeon General 1990-1993