Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 1998 06:52:45 +0000
The amount of sertraline which gets into the milk is very small
indeed.  This we know from studies.  We also know that full term
babies do not absorb that small amount to any significant degree and
that studies show the baby has no effect, pharmacologically, from the
drug the mother is taking.  This may not be true for small prematures.

However, who is experimenting with babies' brains here?  I think there
can be no longer any doubt that breastfed babies in general, and
premature babies in particular, have significantly better cognitive
development than those who do not receive breastmilk.  So, by not
"allowing" the mother to give breastmilk to her premature, it is, in
fact, the physician who is doing the experimenting.

Here is another opportunity to gather data, incidentally.  Why not do
blood levels of sertraline on the baby when the mother is taking it?
This would be very helpful information.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC