From:
Kimberly Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2007 17:38:48 -0500
Posting about my own baby.  My second child (first nursed for 2.5 years), 4 months old,
exclusively breastfed.  About 6 weeks ago, started having green slimey stools.  Block
nursing didn't help, so started dairy elimination.  A little over a week later, she started
passing blood in her stools (not a lot, bright red streaks, but also smelled like digested
blood).  Through dairy/soy elimination plus 1.5 weeks on more exhaustive elimination
diet, she got better, but not back to normal.  Weight gain is fine, CBC is normal, stool
culture for intestinal bacteria (I don't have the report, but I know salmonella, shigella and
e. coli were tested for) was negative.  We did a total IgE looking for food allergy and it
came back normal.  At my insistence, we were sent to an allergist who told us "just start
rice cereal, it might bulk up the stools and clean her out" (that's where my husband took
over while I picked my jaw up off the floor).  We drew blood this morning for RAST
testing (IgE tests for specific allergens we are suspicious of based on my food log from
the last four weeks).  Was talking to a colleague who is a pediatrician and she asked
about blood in my milk.  I have no cracks and no visible blood if I hand express or pump.
She wanted to test anyway.  So I went over to her office and we did a heme-occult on my
milk.  Sure enough....there's blood.  She's suggesting the blood is speeding gut-transit
time, so the lactose isn't getting completely digested and is (at least in part) causing the
green stools and irritation, but she wouldn't rule out dairy/soy intolerance either.  Anyone
dealt with a similar case?  Is it plausible that this is all due to blood (and what to I do
about it)?

Thank you!
Kimberly Hill, BS, IBCLC
Bryan, TX USA