Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2007 17:38:48 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (36 lines)
Posting about my own baby.  My second child (first nursed for 2.5 years), 4 months old, 
exclusively breastfed.  About 6 weeks ago, started having green slimey stools.  Block 
nursing didn't help, so started dairy elimination.  A little over a week later, she started 
passing blood in her stools (not a lot, bright red streaks, but also smelled like digested 
blood).  Through dairy/soy elimination plus 1.5 weeks on more exhaustive elimination 
diet, she got better, but not back to normal.  Weight gain is fine, CBC is normal, stool 
culture for intestinal bacteria (I don't have the report, but I know salmonella, shigella and 
e. coli were tested for) was negative.  We did a total IgE looking for food allergy and it 
came back normal.  At my insistence, we were sent to an allergist who told us "just start 
rice cereal, it might bulk up the stools and clean her out" (that's where my husband took 
over while I picked my jaw up off the floor).  We drew blood this morning for RAST 
testing (IgE tests for specific allergens we are suspicious of based on my food log from 
the last four weeks).  Was talking to a colleague who is a pediatrician and she asked 
about blood in my milk.  I have no cracks and no visible blood if I hand express or pump.  
She wanted to test anyway.  So I went over to her office and we did a heme-occult on my 
milk.  Sure enough....there's blood.  She's suggesting the blood is speeding gut-transit 
time, so the lactose isn't getting completely digested and is (at least in part) causing the 
green stools and irritation, but she wouldn't rule out dairy/soy intolerance either.  Anyone 
dealt with a similar case?  Is it plausible that this is all due to blood (and what to I do 
about it)?  

Thank you!
Kimberly Hill, BS, IBCLC
Bryan, TX USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2