From:
"James A. Nadeau" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 1995 08:51:00 EST
Hello!  My name is Marie Nadeau, RN ICCE CLE.  I have been on Lactnet for
over six weeks and am enjoying all the communications.  I have been
teaching childbirth education since 1972.  Have two daughters ages 25 and
22.  Both breastfed but not without all the difficulties experienced by
most nursing moms in the early 1970's.  Wish I knew then what I know
now.  Isn't that a song??  I am the perinatal education coordinator at
Alpena General Hospital in the small northern Michigan town of Alpena.  I
do all the breastfeeding prenatal education as well as in-house and post
partum follow ups with the nursing moms.  We have about 550 birth per
year.  My goal for 1996 is to become a "Baby Friendly" hospital.  I have
recently "retired" as the ICEA Michigan Coordinator.  Hello to all the
ICEA members "on
line"!
I do have a problem I hope someone can shed some light on.  I have a
young mother with a one year old daughter (her second breastfed child).
This child is not interested in solid foods and has doubled her birth
weight at this time.  Her pediatrician diagnosed her as Failure to Thrive
and is putting her through a battery of tests.  The only problem the baby
has had this year is one ear infection (eeks!).  She looks healthy, is
energetic but doesn't want a thing to do with anything other than breast
milk.  ( must be good stuff!!)  Does anyone have suggestions about
interesting the baby in other foods?  What are your thoughts on the
weight issue?  I have suggested leaving finger foods available for the
baby all day.  The mother was trying to withhold breastfeeding so the
baby would be hungrier.  I discouraged that plan!    Looking forward to
hearing from you.  Marie Nadeau in snowy Michigan!