Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 01:15:15 +0100

>My question: Could the rapid weight loss be responsible for the baby being
>fussy and/or sleeping at the breast? I know that dieting while breastfeeding
>can affect milk volume. Should I be concerned about the weight issue? Or
>just deal with supply issue?
>Thanks,
>Donna LLL leader Alaska

I'll leave to others the discussion of whether rapid weight loss
could be a factor - though if this mother is already supplementing 50
per cent of the time at this early stage, then that is far more
likely to be the cause of fussiness at the breast, IMHO - but my
reading of the current lit. is that dieting has not been shown to
make any difference to milk volume....there is quite a nice piece
here:

http://www.breastfeeding.com/reading_room/dieting.html

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK