From:
Diana Cassar-Uhl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 May 2007 14:04:57 -0400

Happy Saturday to all!

Last week at my LLL meeting, a mother-to-be, expecting her 3rd baby in July,
came into the room.  I was immediately taken with her appearance -- she was
very tall, with a large frame, and extremely masculine features (facial and
bodily).  Her hands were especially large.

As the meeting discussion progressed this mother shared that she had been
unsuccessful in breastfeeding her other two children -- that the 2nd baby
had been "very happy" at the breast "24 hours a day" but was diagnosed
failure-to-thrive after the first 10 days (having lost more than 10% of
birthweight and not gained anything back, also did not poop at all after
discharge from the hospital).  This mother had good lactation support after
that 2nd baby.  She claimed her "huge nipples" were the problem.

My immediate suspicion was that she has hypoplasia, and I looked at her
breasts after the meeting to see for myself.  If there is hypoplasia, it was
mild -- maybe type 1 or 2.  My gut, though, is telling me that there might
be some other hormonal issues at play because of her extremely masculine
appearance.  I'm posting here to see if there might be some research on this
out there that I can review, or if anyone else has seen a similar situation.

She denied any PCOS or diabetic issues, reported "very little" breast
changes during pregnancy or postpartum.  She says she is the only woman in
her family who did not breastfeed a baby and she feels like she's missing
out on a lot -- she really wants to breastfeed this time.  I'm giving her as
much information as I can for her to share with her support people (LCs,
doctors, friends, etc.) but my gut is telling me I'm missing a very big
piece of the puzzle.

Thanks so much for any insights you can share!

--Diana in NY