Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 17:42:07 -0400
i agree with Barbara Clay-Wilson 100%.  I think that in order to call
yourself a lactation Consultant you need to have at the very least passed
the exam.  This is not to say that lay counselors don't play a very
important role in supporting breastfeeding but if LC's are ever going to be
a profession that gets the respect from the medical community that we
deserve( and they are the ones who throw up the most roadblocks to both
breastfeeders and LC's) there must be more stringent reguirements and
licensure in my opinion.  Once that happens the RN vs NON RN IBCLC debate
will also die down.  The professional field of lactation consulting must
have very high standards and core curriculum.  Lay counselors can call
themselves something other than Lactation Consultants.  Just my not so
humble opinion.

Lori Werrell, BA, IBCLC ( and proud of it)
Leonardtown MD 20650

PS.  I was a lay counselor for 4 years before I sat for the exam, I
couldn't wait to call myself a Lactation Consultant but didn't until those
results were in my hand.