From:
Denise Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 13:13:09 +1000
I've recently been involved in a conversation about when breastmilk becomes
more colostrum-like in relation to breastfeeding during pregnancy.

I've always stated that 'at birth' the breastmilk is colostrum-like, then
will 'come in' with lactogenesis II as per usual.  But WHEN during the
pregnancy does the milk of the mother who is breastfeeding an older child
'change' to be colostrum-like?

Is there much difference between low-volume 'nearly weaned' milk and
colostrum?  Is this why it appears to be colostrum again after birth?  What
about the toddler who has kept up a pretty good supply - is the milk just
before birthing as 'colostrum-like' as in the other case?

Looking forward to learning more.
Denise