From:
Jay Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 18:16:06 EDT
Believe it or not, sometimes I send a post without putting enough thought
into it.

A nurse working her tail off to take care of babies who are in the nursery
because doctors are lazy deserves no criticism.  And none should have been
implied by me.  Please accept my apology because that certainly was how my post
could be interpreted.  Fix the doctors best you can.

I have watched hospitals around Los Angeles for a couple decades now and at
least two of my three hospitals have made very little progress towards being
Baby Friendly.

Cedars Sinai has some excellent lactation consultants but they are swimming
upstream against the current of pervasive discharge packs and nurses giving out
water or formula bottles whenever the mood strikes them (Overstatement, of
course, but it certainly can look that way.)  St. John's Hospital in Santa
Monica can be pretty good but they, like UCLA-Santa Monica, have lots of free
formula sitting around.  UCLA-Santa Monica still keeps a table full of formula
literature and brochures in the postpartum hallway.  The nursery itself is often
filled with pens, note pads and occasionally posters extolling the benefits of
adding DHA to Enfamil (Lipil).  The NICU at Cedars is HMF heaven.

Fix the doctors and let's all get to work (I will .  .  .) on cleaning up the
post partum area.  (By the way, if anyone at any of these three hospitals
reads this and wants to help change things, let's talk.)

Jay Gordon, MD, FAAP, IBCLC (retaking the exam next year!)