From:
Virginia Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jan 2017 11:46:29 +1000
Kathleen Huggins makes some good points. These explain one reason why many
clinicians still focus on a particular brand and are uncomfortable with
trying other brands. No longer do one or two companies have the monopoly
for effective closed-system, electric rental grade breast pumps. I am aware
of the relatively new brand mentioned and have tried their top model, which
met my expectations. It also has a light, useful for night use. It is,
however, not the only new pump now available that is suitable
for institutional use.  I believe it is important for clinicians to be open
to trying out alternatives.

If in some countries health insurance companies have been tied in by a
particular manufacturer to a particular model, creating a monopoly, I
suggest it is time for clinicians and institutions to advocate for a
review. If this is difficult, "where there is a will there is a way", and
giving mothers more choice is surely desirable.

Another reason for the preponderance of one brand comes down to advertising
budgets. Entrants to the market don't have the big budgets - and networks -
of established players. Personal contact and established networks create
and continue brand loyalty, as we humans tend not to search beyond the
familiar.

With best wishes to all Lactnetters for a healthy and fulfilling year in
2017,
Virginia

Dr Virginia Thorley, OAM, PhD, IBCLC, FILCA
Private Practice IBCLC
Ipswich, QLD, Australia