From:
The Jones Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 02:54:40 -0700
I saw a mom a couple weeks ago who was having difficulty with
breastfeeding, think her nipples were sore.  I couldn't come in the day
they called me--was at the other hospital.  Nurse thought the baby was
tongue tied.  When I saw mom next day, did note rather tight frenulum,
but did not seem to interfere with breastfeeding.  Mom just needed help
with positioning.  Baby had been primarily bottlefed since birth.  Mom
said she wasn't sure she wanted to breastfeed because it didn't feel
natural.  We talked about it--could take a while, etc.  Mom didn't want
to stay so I could help her again, gave another bottle before she left.
I felt sure she would quit.  Baby was readmitted for jaundice (MBR 19) a
few days later.  SHE WAS STILL BREASTFEEDING.  I helped her with
positioning.  She was more ready to learn.  Baby was being supplemented,
but I was thrilled that I had been wrong.  Not a word about wanting to
quit.

Worked with another mom who had a Cesarean birth.  First feeding, mom
was out of it.  I put the baby on for her.  Two days later, her nipples
are sore.  Lots of social issues.  I don't think she was very open to
nurses helping her.  Baby was nursing frequently.  I helped her get baby
onto breast.  A couple hours later, she was angry and frustrated.  When
I walked into the room she demanded a bottle.  The look in her eyes told
me this was no time to discuss anything.  I got her a bottle.  While the
baby was drinking his 5 cc (which was all he took), I talked with the
mom.  Suggested she need to pump if her nipples were too sore to feed
baby.  She said, "I'll feed him at the next feeding.  I just needed a
break.  I've been feeding him for 2 hours."  I thought, "Wonder how long
this will last?"

She called last week.  SHE WAS STILL BREASTFEEDING, TOO.  Things aren't
always what they seem.

Bonnie Jones, RN, ICCE, IBCLC
from the sunny S.W. USA