From:
Donna Kimick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2006 18:54:58 EDT

Hi Ann, I am in now way an expert in frenulums - but they can be further
back and that can impair the suck / swallow.  Catherine Watson Genna and Dr
Elizabeth Coryllos are the area experts in frenulums.  It seems that these  types
of frenulums are type 3 or 4.  I have seen a few recently - the  palate is
very high - the tongue does not go up at all - so it doesn't do the  job -
depending on the babies disposition they either get hysterical or they  fall alseep
and lose weight. Have someone in your area check it out.   Hopefully you can
find a ped surgeon or ent that will know the newest  information and is
breastfeeding friendly.  I am so blessed to know Dr  Coryllos and extremely lucky to
have "assisted" in quite a few frenotomys.   As far as the no nipple pain - my
neighbor nursed twins for over a year with  type 2 frenulums - that were
finally clipped at 4 yrs old  with no pain or  problems at all. It is the moms
that have the problems that get the frenotomys  earlier - the ones that make it
with no problems wind up having kids with speech  problems - of course not
always.

Another possibilty to look into is retained placenta - although rare I have
seen two mothers in six months with it.  The same story - very low supply,
the bleeding stops and then one day there is a gush of blood and clots and then
the milk is flowing.  Both moms had sonograms and the last one the doctor
said there never was a retained placenta.  OK -  then why after that  did her
milk "decide" to come in?  PS both of these moms were c -sections  also.

Good luck - sometimes there is no real answer - which is so hard for us to
deal with.

Donna Kimick, IBCLC, RLC
Massapequa Park