From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 14:52:12 +1000
Thanks Carol and Winnie. I really like how you both approach this
situation.

Carol wrote: >i tell them, here are

Winnie wrote:
>How much more positive to say something like "Of course you can
> breastfeed.  Many moms are albe to provide all the breastmilk the
> baby needs while some may need to add snother milk.  This can be
> done right at the breast."

I agree that the parenting style has a lot to do with  it also but I do
think that more mums would go to the "extreme" of attachment parenting if
they knew that it could mean they could lose the need to supplement.

By the way. I heard from a mum just recently who is breastfeeding her
adopted baby. She was going great- supplying 50% or more of her babies
needs but she wanted to do better. Her LC said that she couldn't produce
any more because she wasn't a bio mum. She changed LCs and a simple problem
with latch was discovered and as a result she was able to increase her
supply to give her baby all he needed. I wonder how many other problems are
overlooked because mum is Bf an adopted baby.... had breast reduction
surgery... is a diabetic etc and those things *must* be the cause of her
difficulties.

Karleen