From:
Roni Chastain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 06:00:36 EDT
good morning,
i had a very frustrating day with my gynacologist (ob-gyn)yesterday. went for
my annual checkup, to his new office. right on the desktop was a sign up pad
from mead johnson, for *infant care* info. i was asked to complete a brief
insurance questionaire, it was on a clip board from similac.
i had my exam, asked all my personal questions, then proceeded to explain to
him that having those items sends a message to his clients. i explained that
in the US, we spend 2.9 billion dollars a year on artifical baby milk thru
the WIC programs, that formula companies spend millions of dollars every year
on advertising, andthat the baby friendly initiative has 15,000 facilities
worldwide, but only 31 in the US. i had to explain what the program was, he
was not familiar with it.  he was unimpressed with my stats, said he is a
supporter of breastfeeding, and doesn't see a problem with having these items
in his office. i pointed out there was not one item supporting breastfeeding
on display. he was not happy with this conversation and ended it quickly.
i find this so frustrating, he just doesn't get it, doesn't realize the
effect these items have has on his clients. he doesn't think he is sending
them a message about the use of formula. he certainly is not alone in his
thinking that this form of advertising isn't harmful.
so, i am wondering, why don't the companies that provide breastfeeding
supplies advertise the same way. why doesn't medella have info pads, and
clipboards to give out to doctors offices. what about laleche, or ilca can
they do some form of advertising to mds. i realize it is all about money, it
is impossible to come up with advertising money unless you are making a ton
of money. it is just so very frustrating. i offered to bring him one of my
breastfeeding photos, framed. he said i should *drop it off* and he would
look at it, to see if it were appropriate to hang in his office. i have
already done this with my peditrician,  but it is an expense to print, matt,
and frame  photos for display in doctors office.
frustrated on a hot, steamy day on Long Island.
Roni M. Chastain, RN, FACCE
Long Island, New  York
www. NursingBabys.com
www.CustomPhotoNotes.com