From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 12:36:54 PDT
Loni
Unfortunately I have not seen the successes with good milk production after
breast reduction surgery. It seems most moms, at least in my experience, do
need to supplement long term. However, the sns or other supply line is
exactly the appropriate device to use to deliver the supplement. Bottom line
is that it is mom's choice of what to use, as long as baby is being fed.
Maybe the doc does not understand how the sns works and that the supplement
can be measured and that the infant is getting the milk he needs. Possibly
the doc needs some education about this, and reassurance that the baby will
be followed for wt and growth. I highly recommend this mom and baby get
close followup for wt gain mostly, and secondarily, milk supply monitoring.

If the situation did really occur as presented, then the doc may need to be
asked "would you laugh at a man who was impotent due to prostate surgery and
opted for a penile implant?"

Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC
Violet Louisiana, s.e. USA