From:
Colleen Humphreys <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 1996 02:09:25 -0500
At the LLLI conference in Chicago last summer I attended a panel that
included a presentation about the new growth charts for bf kids.  The
showed two charts comparing bf and abm kids, the first was with average
abmn kid as a sraight line, and bf averasge plotted  around it, the
second was with bf kids as the straight line, and average abm plotted
around IT.  In the first, bf kids look fat for the first few weeks, then
skinny after.  On the second, with bf kids as the "normal" (straight)
line, abm kids look skinny for the first few weeks, then fat ever after!
There's a lot to how it's presented!

We were told that the preliminary studies went well, but now, to get good
charts, they needed to chart more kids, of different ethnic backgrounds,
to get an accurate sampling.  The first study kids were too similar to
release the charts as an accurate standard.

That panel was fun, PROOF that what bugs us about doctor visits SHOULD bug
us!
Colleen Humphreys