Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2012 01:37:47 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (42 lines)
Sounds to me like the baby is frustrated with being hungry. How about 
supplementing at the breast, perhaps with a tube and syringe, so mom can 
give the baby little boluses to make feeding less work for the babe?

Catherine Watson Genna BS, IBCLC  NYC  cwgenna.com

On 7/6/2012 3:03 PM, Lea Rivera Todaro wrote:
> PTP:
>
> I've been working with a family for about a month, baby is 5 weeks old.  Baby has a tongue tie that should get revised next week.  In the meantime mom is managing the snacking and low transfer with compressions, pumping and bottle supplementation.  However, in the last 2 weeks baby has been exhibiting a new behavior, which of course she hasn't demonstrated to me (we've tried to get me there to watch and baby is insistent that she perform perfectly for the audience).
>
> This is what mom says "Today started off ok but quickly fell apart with hours of "snacking" followed by blood-curdling screaming when taken off the breast and we were unable to get her to sleep. Latch was really poor and she would get fussy when I tried to make it better.  I gave her an ounce of breast milk around 3:30 out of desperation and nipple soreness, then continued to allow the snacking.  By 6:00 my nerves were completely shot--at that time she was on the breast for no more than a minute, fell asleep and I couldn't wake her, until of course I tried to put her down and screaming started again.  We ended up giving her 2 oz more of breast milk, she screamed awhile longer, and then finally fell asleep about 7:30.  Diapers have been consistently wet and poopy.  She doesn't have a fever that I can tell.  I don't know if we're dealing with gas or what, but this is crazy."
>
> I feel like most of this is normal, tongue tied baby stuff.  But, I'm a little concerned about the screaming.  Could it be reflux? Baby doesn't spit up a lot and is gaining normally.  Any thoughts on clinical supervision? Anything I'm missing? Baby is a snuggler and mom doesn't have a lot of support in the home (dad is back to work) should I recommend post partum care?  I'm feeling just a bit baffled.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Lea Rivera Todaro
> Brooklyn, NY
>
>               ***********************************************
>
> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2