From:
Norma Ritter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2006 20:00:13 -0400
OK, I know I shouldn't be so picky, but.... why can't they print
exactly what I said?
 I said, *women who nurse have HEALTHY babies and won't need many sick days.*

 Of course this did not make much difference to the irate business man
who called just as I was getting out of the shower. As I stood
dripping by the phone, he ranted on about how I was going to put him
out of business,  that he did not allow his workers to smoke, let
alone take nursing or pumping breaks, that women nursing in public
were disgusting.... I tried several times to interrupt, to calm him
down, and eventually my dh just disconnected us. *You don't have to
listen to that!* he said.
 On the good side, nominations are coming in for large companies,
small companies, daycare centers, animal hospitals, banks, WIC...
WOOHOO!

 norma

 http://www.stargazettenews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060628/LIFE06/606280308Nominations
sought for breastfeeding-friendly firms
 By ROBERTA McCULLOCH-DEWS
 Star-Gazette
 June 28, 2006

 It's difficult for a new mom to continue a breastfeeding regimen
after returning to work without the support of the company she works
for.

 As a lack of assistance in the workplace can be one of the major
impediments for women who want to breastfeed outside the home, the
Twin Tiers Breastfeeding Network wants to recognize local companies
and area locales that support women by giving out its first
Breastfeeding Friendly Place Awards.

 "We want to recognize those businesses that do make accommodations
for women who nurse their babies. We wanted to do it in a way to
educate without blaming," says Norma Ritter, the network's president.
In addition to businesses, the group is accepting nominations for
public places and other locations that also put forth extra effort to
support breastfeeding mothers.

 Breastfeeding is a topic that's been in the news lately. In recent
weeks, there's been much debate surrounding television commercials
portraying as reckless mothers who don't breastfeed. Ritter doesn't
think the ads should place the responsibility solely on the woman. "I
think we need to give people information to make informed choices ...
and the means to do it."

 Plus, companies have something to gain, Ritter says, as women who
nurse will have healthier babies and won't need to take as many sick
days. "It's a win-win situation."

 To place a nomination, call Norma Ritter at 607/562-3367 or e-mail
her at [log in to unmask] Nominations will be
accepted until July 10.

 The awards will be presented at noon on Thursday, Aug. 3 at Wisner
Park in Elmira during World Breastfeeding Week.