From:
Carol Chamblin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 2004 00:54:15 EST
In a message dated 2/6/2004 10:36:32 PM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
My breast was sore and bruised.  I also had a hematoma that was pretty
painful to the touch.
Hi Connie!
I'm so sorry to hear about your breast cancer....thankfully, it was localized
and able to be removed.

Next time you have to endure a breast biopsy, (hopefully not! But, often
times they want to keep a close look on a suspicious site), I'd recommend you
apply the herb arnica gel to the area to diminish the bruising and hematoma to the
site.

As you've pointed out, breastfeeding is no guarantee against breast cancer.
My talk to the local Y-Me group (which I need to fine tune this weekend!
yikes!  been too busy to focus on it!) is going to relate the research studies
linking breastfeeding with the decreased incidence of breast cancer, but I plan on
emphasizing that it is no guarantee as protection.  I'm going to also strive
to point out the options for women who've had breast biopsies, unilateral
mammograms, and experiencing chemotherapy during breastfeeding.  I'm assuming most
women do not realize what we all know on this list in regards to being able
to choose to breastfeed a baby with only one breast, or ways to increase a milk
supply after surgical scar tissue exists, or how to breastfeed during the
course of chemotherapy.

Hope you have a speedy recover!  Glad you had your mammogram!  What a clear
message to others!
Sincerely,
Carol Chamblin, RN, MS, IBCLC
Breast 'N Baby Lactation Services, Inc.