Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2012 10:44:50 -0500
Kerry writes:

"AND  does anyone have any ideas WHY  the 37 weeker is not considered a
late
preterm  babe!?  Seems they  fail as much as the 36 weeker!!"
Kerry and all,

~~~ I have begun thinking of babies even born at 38 and 38 1/2  weeks,
depending on their behavior and skills, as near-term, or  late-preterm,
babies. I
wonder if this is because we are looking so much  more closely for true
competence. If the delineations are based on  larger medical issues of  not

needing respiratory support, being  able to appear  to coordinate
bottlefeeding ( artificial  feeding)  - which  is often quite poor with the
bottles and
artificial nipples US hospitals use and  give away to moms -, then it
seems
the standards are much more lax. I know I am  being "more picky"  or have a
higher standard of comfort and competence. Make   sense?

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC,  LLLL
Brooklyn, NY,  USA

set lactnet nomail
2. To start it  again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a  comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet
welcome