From:
Janet Vandenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 22:43:52 -0500
>She was molested twice as a child and feels dirty about breastfeeding.
My
>question is that in this case my idea is that maybe it would be better
for
>her to bottlefeed.  I did not push the issue of breastfeeding like I do
with
>other people.  She is just really upset about all of this.

There was an article in LEAVEN last year called "Breastfeeding and the
Sexual Abuse Surviver".  This mum may feel unable to breastfed because
of the abuse issue.  This article talks about ways to help a mum to feel
more comfortable with breastfeeding, if possible.  For some sexual abuse
survivors, skin-to-skin contact can trigger negative feelings and for
others night time feedings are too distressing.  Suggesting limits on
breastfeeding may let a mum consider breastfeeding.  Such as only
breastfeeding during the day, no skin-to-skin contact, not nursing in
bed.  Or mum may consider pumping and giving milk via a bottle if she
feels unable to actually nurse the baby.  This mum may not be aware of
this option.

I have also had mums who have had difficulty nursing a male child after
having a girl first.  For some reason it is OK for them to nurse a girl
baby but can't get comfortable with putting a male child to the breast.
Supporting these mums to give EBM would allow baby to get the advantages
of  HM and mum to get the benefits of lactation without triggering mum's
negative feelings.

Recently Penny Simkin has been writing articles, books and giving
workshops on birth for sexual abuse survivers.  Her work would be an
excellant resource for someone interested in finding out more about how
to help survivers in the perinatal period.

Kendall-Tackett, Kathleen. Breastfeeding and the Sexual Abuse Survivor.
LEAVEN, 33 (2), May - June 1997, p27-29.

Janet Vandenberg
RN, BScN
Ontario, Canada