From:
"John F. Reuning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 1996 14:06:33 -0500
Hi, everyone
  I need some wisdom:  a friend with a Down's Syndrome child called me with
a question for a mutual acquaintance who has a 7 mo. old daughter with
Down's.  Since my info is via mom #1, there are missing answers to questions
I asked, and many more to questions I'm sure you all will have.  Anyhow, I
don't know bw or bd of baby, except that she was born 2 wk pre due date.
She finally began bf at 2 mo. of age =) thanks to incredible persistence by
mom.  Baby has been very healthy until a cold about 2 wks ago and lost about
.5# during that time.  Sometime in last couple of months, ped. became
dissatisfied with baby's wt. gain (don't know bw or wt. then, or wt. now),
and told mom to begin giving cereal or abm to increase wt.  Mom has been
giving 1 tbs. infant cereal mixed with ebm twice a day for an unspecified
period of time.   Do Down's babies have an inherently slower rate of wt gain
than non-Down's babies?  Mom #1 mentioned Down's growth charts.  IYO, is the
cereal likely to merely act as a filler, replacing the better food, bm (or
even abm)?  I don't know the feeding pattern of the baby, but I would expect
that a baby of this age would be quite interested in surroundings & show
disinterest in some feedings, leading to less wt gain.  I don't know if
baby's mom has tried being more aware of daughter's nursing habits, and
offering more frequent feeds, or just accepted ped. recommendation to add
other foods.  Baby does not take much if any, juice.  Mom #1 experienced
delays w/ her son in his interest in solids, wt gain, seeming inability to
adequately digest solids, etc. & questions use of solids instead of abm if
supplementation must be done.  Any ideas greatly appreciated. BTW, mom #2
lives in isolated area with few to no bf moms around her; I've only spoken
with her by phone.  TIA, Sara Reuning in TN where it feels like spring
today, but weather people call for some snow in a couple more days.