From:
EandS4959 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 09:32:01 EDT
I am writing a policy regarding maternal addiction and lactation. The one we
currently use states that lactation is contrindicated when a  mom has a recent
hx of,  possitive drug screen (mom or baby), or if mom admits to use. I want
to add that we  counsel a mom about the hazards and let her know that we will
support her in her efforts to stop her drug use and in breastfeeding her baby
and we will be doing random drug screens on her breast milk. As long as these
are neg we will continue to support breastfeeding for her and her baby. If we
get a positive result we will stop using her breast milk. (I work in a 49 bed
level III NICU.) Our medical team is supportive of this change. My problem is
finding references to support the idea that breastfeeding may be a motivation
for moms to stop their drug abuse. Riodan has a brief statment but it is not
referenced. If anyone has anything please E-mail me privately at
[log in to unmask] TIA

Kim Sweet RN, IBCLC