Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 1998 13:54:27 EST

<<rom: Rachel Brusseau <[log in to unmask]>
To: Joan/Robin MacNeil <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 31-Dec-97 4:09
Subject: Re: breast milk research

>I'm having problems posting to LACTNET. My email address changes servers
>with every mailing....anyhow..... I wonder if you could post this to
>LACTNET for me??? If not, no problem.
>
>"Subject: Used bm storage times
>Today I just finished the preliminary colony counts in my "used breast
>milk" study. Please keep in mind these are only preliminary results.
>They represent one of three serial dilutions. (I still have to count the
>other two). Also, my thesis advisor has not yet looked at the figures,
>because he is still on Christmas vacation.
>
>I took bm that was freshly pumped, partially eaten out of a bottle, and
>then stored in the refrigerator for 0, 6, 12, 18, 24, 36, and 48 hours
>and compared the bacteria growth with breast milk that was pumped and
>stored in the refrigerator for the same amount of time. I only had three
>participants, but the results were pretty consistent.
>
>In all three participants the bacteria counts consistently DECREASED
>over time in both the used and control milk. The used milk counts were
>slightly higher with an average maximum count of 9000 cfu/ml, while the
>control milk had an average maximum count of 6000 cfu/ml. At 48 hours
>the average count for the used milk was 2500 cfu/ml, and the average
>count for the control milk was 1500 cfu/ml.
>
>There is conflicting data on "acceptable" bacteria counts for healthy
>babies. Sources vary from maximum levels of 1000 cfu/ml to 10,000
>cfu/ml. In addition, some sources require NO enteropathogens.
>
>I have not yet began the qualitative part of the study, but I thought
>someone might appreciate this quick update.
>
>Sincerely
>Rachel Brusseau
>Senior (almost a BS in Biology)

------------------------------

End of LACTNET Digest - 30 Dec 1997 to 31 Dec 1997 - Special issue

-------------------->>
There was a very nice discussion of the effects of analgesia and epidurals in
the recent issue of Breastfeeding Abstracts (quarterly journal available from
LLL).  The title was something like "Obstetrical Influences on the Initiation
and Durations of Breastfeeding"  The gist of the article was that we really
don't yet know the impact of epidurals on breastfeeding but that there are
documented changes in nb behaviors after epidurals and there is reason to
believe that it may impact breastfeeding.  I'm sorry I can find the exact
citation.  I took this issue to a meeting and I seem to have misfiled it
somewhere.

Cindy N.