From:
T Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 07:59:48 -0400
Purely anecdotal - when I had my first baby, I was advised to give him the
vitamin drops because I was breastfeeding. He seemed to tolerate them fine,
but I also remember my formula-feeding friends being rather smug about the
fact that formula was "nutritionally complete" but I had to supplement my
breastmilk. Didn't cause me to wean, but did make me feel a bit
uncomfortable.

Second baby, I had a different doctor but I just assumed I needed to give
this baby drops too. She didn't react well to them at all - would be fussy
and "colicky." I noticed that on the days I forgot to give her the drops she
was calmer and happier. Told my doctor this and she said "Quit giving her
the vitamins. She doesn't need them anyway." So I stopped.

So clearly the drops upset my second baby's digestive system. I know of
other babies who have had similar reactions. Not all babies may react as
vocally as mine did, but obviously there is potential for harm.

Why does it seem easier to tell someone "go to the store and buy these drops
and give them to your baby every day" than to say "make sure you and your
baby are outside getting some sunlight for half an hour every day?"

Teresa Pitman
Guelph, Ontario