Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2007 15:01:46 EST
hello esteemed lactivists!

i am peeking in out of lurkdom to ask for the current expert
opinions/research and even anecdotal reports on assigning breasts while  tandem nursing a
newborn and toddler. i am asking for myself as well as a cpl of  moms i counseled
on bfing issues when they had their 1st babies who are now  going to have 2nd
babies and attempt tandem nursing. YAY!
i've tandem nursed a toddler/newborn cpl 3 times now, through 3
pregnancies....and am currently doing it again during my 5th pregnancy! (are you
surprised i'm having another one??? not as surprised as we were !!  LOL) i've also
nursed 3 for 18 mos and it looks like i will be doing it  again when Cinco is
born in october.

 i never gave it much thought, instinct sort of guided me that the  toddler
would feel more secure having his own breast and knowing the other was  for the
new baby. and logistically, it would prevent the toddler from nursing  both
breasts down to near empty and then having a hungry newborn suddenly wake  up
and want a burgeoning breast. there was some minor lopsidedness to deal with,
but otherwise this plan has worked great for me all these 6 yrs of
tandem/triandem nursing.

 i also noticed the colostrum and colostrum-tinted milk lasting up to  3 wks
in the newborn's breast while it barely made it a wk in the toddler's  breast.
i have assumed all this time that my breasts adjusted and accordingly  made
milk tailor made for their needs based on the nursing patterns  and strength of
the baby/toddler's suck. knowing that breasts can/do   produce milk
completely independently of each other, i've been very content  w/ the vague references
and anecdotal stories i've come across as to why this  method is really best.

one of the moms i have stayed in touch and become friends w/ since
originally counseling her on a volunteer basis w/ her 1st baby has consulted a  local
LC about tandeming when her new baby arrives. what i'm hearing secondhand  is
that this LC thinks it can be detrimental for the new baby not to be allowed
to nurse at both breasts until satisfied b/c that would allow the baby to get
the maximum amount of antibodies as they are mainly produced and released
during  foremilk consumption. she also said it's best for baby to get foremilk and
 hindmilk from *both* breasts so baby is not getting an imbalance of too much
 hindmilk by being restricted to one breast.

so now i'm confused! i am not sure i've ever heard antibodies are primarily
located and obtained through foremilk... does anyone know if this is true? and
 is it true enough to make switch nursing significantly better than
assigning? i  would love to hear current thoughts on assigning breasts from the sources
i  respect the most, here on lactnet. thanks in advance for any time you can
spare  on this question!

also, i finally got with it and made a myspace account - if any other
lactnetters have one and would like to befriend a fellow lactivist floating  around
out there in cyberspace, i'd be honored! i am:
_www.myspace.com/mummatowldthings_ (http://www.myspace.com/mummatowldthings)
  (note the slight diff in the spelling of my email name - another  person
already has the version containing the number two that i use here on  lactnet
and aol...)

~jacqui gruttadauria, bsw
near detroit, michigan

http://www.aol.com.