Date:
Thu, 24 Sep 1998 18:03:46 -0400
Because babies respond to milk flow, not what's in the breast.  If the baby
no longer drinks at the breast, s/he doesn't care how much is in the breast.
In fact, I would say it is *not* recommended to feed both sides.  Keep the
baby on the first side until s/he no longer drinks, and then offer the other
side. If the baby doesn't want, don't worry, *if the baby drank well*.
Check breast compression, Rob.  Now, if the baby drank at both breasts and
does not drink any more, even with the compression, she can go back to the
first side again, as milk formed while the baby was on the other side might
result in the baby drinking again. (We are dealing with problem patients
here.  I would not normally recommend compression to a mother who is doing
fine).

We used to laugh at the physicians who told mothers to stretch out the
feedings, because the baby would nurse better.  But in fact, that is true in
a way, because with a "fuller breast" the baby does drink better.  But the
idea is to make each feeding more effective, so the baby lasts longer, not
hold the baby off.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC