From:
Barbara Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2017 08:15:41 -0400
Dear Friends,
This kind of article pains me. This was my response on Facebook:
"Whew! This is quite a read with many good points. I think what is
missing from all of these conversations is that mothers who have well
trained midwives, OBs, doulas, IBCLCs for the birth and for the first 3
months, are going to have a much greater chance of achieving their
goals. These mothers want to breastfeed! In my opinion, this is the
issue. We say we value healthy, non-medicated birth and breastfeeding
but where is the support and training? This is what is missing! Not
medications and formula! We have lost the art of birthing and
breastfeeding. There are still some of us out there who have all the
medical knowledge we need to avoid bad outcomes AND have the skills to
provide the social emotional support these mothers desperately need.
Yes, you need to be able to recognize when a mother might need an
intervention such as a c-section or formula! Sadly, this lack of
training leads to a default of intervention because people don't know
how to recognize real problems. Sorry for the rant. I teach around the
country and am shocked at what people do not know about lactation
support. I still feel formula companies are behind this back lash
against Baby Friendly Hospitals and Fed is Best. Call me paranoid. Also,
anyone who thinks Courtney Jung's work is worth talking about knows
nothing about science."
I would love some kind of formal response from our profession. The
Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine sometimes will respond but usually it
is a person not the organization. Where is a response from IBLCE? ILCA?
USLCA?
I feel I have no one to officially defend breastfeeding and my professional.
Thank you,

--

Barbara Robertson, MA, IBCLC, RLC
The Breastfeeding Center of Ann Arbor