From:
Ann Slaughter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 16:41:33 -0600
I work in the Level 3 NICU,a few years ago (2000) I went about designing
information for our moms.  As part of my research I asked our head
neonatologist under what circumstances would he not allow expressed breast
milk to be used in the unit.  Noting that we have a variety of gestational
ages.   His response was street drugs and most everything else was
permitted, the benefits out weight the very small amount of drugs in the
milk.  His restrictions were noted at that time to:  MAO inhibitors,
Chemotherapy drugs, some and some ant-depressants.  The MAO inhibitors and
anti-depressants (other psychotropic drugs) would be judged case by case
with close observation of the infants for signs of distress (low blood
pressure, diarrhea, or rashes, etc.).  Mothers with history of street drug
use or alcohol abuse could provide milk provided we know their HIV status.
If mom is HIV positive no breast milk would be given.

Our unit has an average census of 60 (the maximum 89, minimum 46 - today).
We care for infant with gestations of 22-23 weeks to full and post term.
Our deliveries are apporximatly 5,000 / year.  The NICU has apporxamently
800-900 admissions / year.  I believe that this includes the infant
transports from surrounding hospitals that our hospital covers.

Ann Slaughter RN, IBCLC