From:
Jessica Elston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2009 21:36:35 -0500
Hi - while I do not have children who are in their 20's and 30's (mine are
10 an under), I am one of those who is 36 - and my mom breastfed me.  I am
forever grateful for her commitment to me and breastfeeding - she was
setting an example for me, probably even more than she knew.

She lived near a college campus - my dad taught at Ball State, she at the
local high school.  Breastfeeding was at an all time low at that point, and
she did not have local family or friends to support her.  While my
grandmother breastfed my mom and siblings, she did not live nearby, so LLL
was her support system.  ( I still have her LLL cookbook she used so much at
that time).  She did read as much as she could about breastfeeding - being
near the college campus provided her the current resources (though they were
still few) to help her.  She knew it was best, despite the fact society felt
otherwise.

When it was time to have my children, I knew I would be breastfeeding as
well.  Not because my mom told me to (she didn't), but because she set the
example for me - I knew that is what she did for me.  She practiced
attachment parenting (not because a book said to - that was just how a mom
nurtures her baby) and helped me nurture my own mothering instincts.  She
hated the buckets when they came out back then, too.  I am so thankful she
operated out of the norm!

While I was stongly influenced by my mom's example, I must say, I also was
strongly influenced by the monetary benefits - why buy something I can make
myself?!?!  Why spend money on an inferior product that takes more time -
doesn't make sense.  I still don't really understand how that in itself
doesn't convince moms to breastfeed.

Anyway - thank you for letting me share my story - I am proud of my mother
and pray I am able to pass the same example to my breastfed children.

Jessica Elston
Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, CLS
WIC