From:
"Nathalie C." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2004 11:47:03 -0600
First let me thank all of you who responded to my post last month(anorexic baby/health issue) either on the list or privately. Your input was so very much appreciated.

I met with the mother and we discussed all the ideas offered, from metabolic disorder to anorexia, allergies, depression and reflux, etc.

The mom felt enlightened when she left, with a bunch of papers that I researched on all the relevant topics for her to look at and take to the doctor. When she left she felt confident that someone would find the problem with her baby. Confidence is half the battle.

She saw a geneticist that same week which refered her to a new gastric doctor. They finally did an endoscopy and the results came in. Severe silent reflux and esofagitis (sp?) and cow's milk protein alergy.

The baby is now on a med for reflux and another med for acidity, and they switched her to another brand of hydrolized abm. She mentionned to the doctor that she would be willing to relactate but the doctor said that it is not worth the "trouble" for only 3 months (she'll be 12 months then and I suppose that this doctor is one who thinks the magic fairy dust just magically disappear at 12 months of age).
I am sure it's a first for this doctor, having a mother mention she'd relactate. I'm not dropping the subject with the mother since I feel she is still  open to that option. She also mentionned that the special milk she has to buy now is twice the price of the one she used to buy.

All in all, the baby is doing a lot better, she drinks all her milk when before she would gag, she eats and does not vomit anymore.

I can now see a clearer picture of it all. The mom was not interacting with the baby because she felt like a bad mother, she was depressed with all that situation. It was all a result of the baby's refusing to eat and I guess she felt like the baby rejected her since the first months because she was rejecting the breast.

Complicated issue. I'm glad I could offer her the support she needed and that she regained confidence to find what the problem was with her baby.

I am grateful to all of you who helped me look at this from different angles. Thanks!

All the best,

Nathalie
LLLI-Chile