From:
Lyla Wolfenstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 18:08:49 -0800
>Krainz, Mary Ann writes:

>Supply seems to be affected I think by
>what the blood pressures do after delivery. If they go down within normal
>range the mother will continue into lactogenesis. If the pressures don't
>they will be unable to get a full production. Has anyone else seen this? How
>about those moms with Pregnancy Induced Hypertension, I mention them because
>they seem to continually remain high? Maybe we should ask if their BP is
>normal or take it on the lactation visit.

this is such a timely thread for me!  I am currently working with a mother
with PIH.  she is about 5 weeks post partum now, first baby, and is on
anti-hypertensive meds, as her pressure was sky high several weeks after
delivery.  She also reports no breast changes during pregnancy, so i am
wondering if the hypertension is a red herring, or perhaps related to
something else.   Baby was losing weight and she has been struggling with
pumping, supplementing, and improving her milk supply.  In my opinion, baby
also has a bit of a high palate, but no obvious tongue restrictions.  Why
oh why do the moms with non baby-related milk supply problems so often also
have babies who struggle to nurse for anatomical reasons!?  i would love to
understand the relationship between hypertension and milk supply - is there
one beyond the swelling/fluid balance issues in the early post partum
period?  is it just a matter of poor stimulation in the beginning coupled
with the results of hypertension early on, or there still some milk
production inhibiting factor at work as long as the hypertension is
present, and if so, why?  any thoughts about the relationship (if any)
between no breast changes during pregnancy and PIH?  Thanks for any
input/suggestions!

Lyla Wolfenstein, B.S., IBCLC, RLC
Early Attachments - Breastfeeding Preparation and Support Services
email:  [log in to unmask]
phone:  (360) 281-4719
web:    http://home.attbi.com/~earlyattachments