Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 12:20:02 EST
Jessica says,

> For those older Lactnetters whose kids are grown, how does it feel to sleep
> 8 uniterrupted hours a night?
> I guess I have a good 15 years to go...

BWAHAAAAAAAAA!!!!  Giggle, snort, cough, choke, gasp!!  HAHAHAHA!  Did I
mention this struck me as funny?  Sleep through the night???  If I did sleep
through the night, I'd think I was dead.  Sometimes I get up to go to the
bathroom -- sometimes I do that a lot.  Sometimes just to get a drink of
water.  Sometimes to read a book.  Sometimes I'm just awake -- meditating or
praying for my family and friends -- sometimes I'm reciting scripture.
Sometimes I'm watching the clock roll over the hours, and I'm thinking --
well, if I haven't fallen back asleep by 4:30, I'm going to just get up.  I
have more stories to tell about when my oldest daughter Jill lived at home
and worked afternoons in the neuro unit at Rush in the city of Chicago -- and
didn't get home until goodness knows when -- and I never slept until she got
home.  Or the night she was an extra on ER (the TV show -- yes, THAT ER), and
I expected her home at 1:00 am.  When she strolled in at 4:00 in the morning,
I burst into tears and promptly gave up my motherhood badge.

Sleep through the night?  Oh Jessica, if only I could!

Jan Barger, Sleepless in Wheaton