Date:
Wed, 29 May 2002 21:11:12 EDT
This question took me back to my early days of practice as an LC in 1986-87.
One of the first mothers i rented an electric breastpump to was a
firefighter. She found that the 24 hours on/48 hours off schedule was very
workable with a good pump. Dad brought baby to the station whenever he could,
to nurse, and mom pumped whenever she could, never knowing when she'd be out
on a fire or other call. During her 48 hours off she and baby just nursed,
and supply did well. She also occasionally worked 48 hours, but she just
continued as best she could. She rented the pump for 14 months and her son
nursed past his third birthday.
I can't address any particular issues about breathing fumes, but as far as
exposure to serious illness is concerned, many hospital workers in all walks
of life have this exposure and manage well witrh breastfeeding, probably due
to all the wonderful immunities that we know about, so this should also not
be of such concern as long as the usual precautions are followed (I have two
firefighter sons so I know a bit about their training.)
We all know about the effects stress can have, but that 48 hours off should
go a long way to help if mom doesn't try to be superwoman whe she is off.
Fever doesn't have any major effect on milk that I am aware of, so increased
body heat doesn't strike me as a likely source of problems. I would encourage
this mom to breastfeed.
I hope this info is useful to this mother.

Flossie Rollhauser, IBCLC