Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 07:57:52 EST
It's Thanksgiving Eve today, and I just wanted to say once again how thankful
I am to the listmothers for Lactnet.

I was doing a major cleaning in my home office after some new windows were
put in (I wonder how many trees I ended up throwing out???) and came across
some old ILCA Globes from back when I was the editor...

Thought you'd all enjoy this snippet from June, 1995.  It was entitled:
"LC's Now in Cyberspace...."

"Have you been feeling a bit lonely latetly?  Wishing you could chat with
other LCs?  Have a question about a difficult case you'd like to run by
someone?  Been surfing the Internet, but haven't found a place to call
"home?"  Well hang on, because Lactnet is here!  Lactnet, a listserv for
lactation consultants and others interested in working with breastfeeding was
begun in March, 1995 by two LCs who believe there was a need for increased
global communication.  [Take a bow Kathleen Bruce & Kathy Auerbach]....

"Lactnet is fun, educational, and a bit addicting.  It's great to be able to
have some good mail beyond the bills that come through the postal system --
and there are always letters!  A recent day's topics included thrush, areolar
edema, World Breastfeeding Week, male & female circumcision, lactose
intolerance, and problem palates.  As of this writing there are 75 members
representing the U.S., Sweden, Israel, Canada, & Australia....."  (ILCA
Globe, Vol 3 No 3, June, 1995)

So here we are, folks -- still talking about the same things, but now,
instead of just 75 people to share their experiences, we are 3000 strong.
Instead of 5 countries, we collectively represent -- what, Kathleen -- 41
countries?

How far we've come in 7 short years.  Again, thank you listmothers for
keeping this professional forum just that -- professional and educational,
fun & addicting.  And thank you to all the listmembers that write in and
share problems & solutions, frustrations and triumphs.  I'm grateful to be
able to count you all among my friends.

Warmly,

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC -- Wheaton IL
Lactation Education Consultants